International Airport Heraklion, Crete S.A. (hereafter IAHC) is dedicated to work in a manner that promotes strong environmental performance. Environmental protection and efficient management of climate change issues are set as targets of high priority for our Company. IAHC is committed to use any and all Best Environmental Practices and Best Available Techniques in order to prevent and minimize any potential environmental and social impacts that could arise from its activities, and to act at all times in compliance with the environmental regulatory framework by which it is bound, namely the Approved Environmental Terms of the Airport Project (Joint ministerial Decision no. 143779/28-8-2009), as amended and in force (doc. No. Οικ201434/18-07-2011 of the Special Environmental Authority of the General Directorate of the Ministry of Environment and Climate Change), any terms of the Concession Agreement of the Airport Project (Law 4612/2019) and/or any other applicable national, European and/or international legislation, policies and regulations relating to the protection of the environment (collectively, “Environmental Requirements”).
IAHC follows a holistic approach to environmental and social risk management and is fully aware of its responsibilities towards the environment, its employees and stakeholders. IAHC’s environmental approach consists of the establishment of an Environmental Service within the Company as well as the development and implementation of an Environmental and Social Management System (ESMS) to ensure continuous compliance with Environmental Requirements aiming to safeguard the natural and social environment.
“Our Environmental and Social Performance is our first priority”
Within the context of such approach, IAHC commits itself to act in consideration of the following:
- Designing, developing, operating, and maintaining facilities in a safe, reliable, sustainable, environmentally and socially responsible, and efficient manner.
- Complying at all times with any and all Environmental Requirements.
- Assess the environmental impacts of all operations and work to mitigate significant environmental impacts.
- Organizing the activities aiming in promoting rational energy and water consumption throughout the works in the framework of sustainable development.
- Develop and implement mitigation measures for climate change prioritizing the minimization of greenhouse gases and overall reduction of our carbon footprint, while also encouraging all the contractors and third parties operating at the Airport to contribute to this effort.
- Adopt operational practices that seek to minimise the polluting emissions from Airport operations while undertaking regular monitoring for key pollutants to contribute to the control of local air quality.
- Implement European and international programs for minimizing noise emissions and the number of people affected by aircraft noise while seeking to eliminate the noise emissions from all aspects of our operation.
- Develop an ecology strategy towards the landscape to promote the development of rich and varied habitats to integrate the airport within its rural setting.
- Aim for the goal of Zero Waste emission through the minimization of waste generation while also promoting the principle of circular economy via an environmentally sound management of the waste generated.
- Promoting protection of natural and manmade environment (fauna, avifauna and flora as well as cultural heritage).
- Engage in a constructive, ongoing and open dialogue with all stakeholders, including local communities and employees.
- Develop and implement a grievance mechanism for stakeholders to express concerns and make suggestions about IAHC activities. The mechanism will be implemented in a transparent and accountable manner to address and respond effectively to concerns, feedback and comments.
- Ensuring effective management of grievances while at the same time strengthening the socioeconomic status of the residents living near the airport in order to counter any adverse impact from our operation.
- Enhancing awareness in environmental and social responsibility among employees, customers, associates, suppliers, the public and other stakeholders.
- Establishing measurable objectives for environmental and social performance in order to strive for continuous improvement. By continually monitoring and improving our environmental and social performance, we ensure effective response to potential impacts.
- Continuous monitoring, assessing and updating of the Environmental and Social Management System (ESMS) against specific key performance indicators.
- Publish the results of the monitoring activities in our periodic and annual environmental reports in accordance with the Environmental Requirements (Annex II of the Concession Agreement – Special Specifications).
- Actively supporting and participating in the development of new technologies and processes that could further improve environmental and social performance, taking into consideration health and safety.
- Assuring that the legal and ethical principles of the Company will be followed by the employees and all parties involved in its operation.
«Everyone is responsible for the protection of the Environment»
In order for this to be implemented:
- All personnel acting on behalf of IAHC understands and implements its policy and principles at all levels of the organization while participating in trainings for continuous improvement.
- This policy is accessible to all interested parties and is implemented throughout all facilities and operations of IAHC.
The protection of the environment is EVERYONE’S responsibility and IAHC is committed to implement every possible measure and procedure to minimize and/or eliminate any potential negative impacts.